The United States Tennis Association (USTA) is the overall governing body of tennis in the United States. It is organized as a 501c (6), and the Section offices are a combination of 501 (c)(3) and 501 (c)(4) entities. Changes in USTA bylaws are considered and voted on at the USTA Annual Meeting in March and/or at the USTA Semi-Annual meeting in September. At the national level, each Section has one voting delegate, but voting power is weighted by USTA membership. In terms of membership, USTA Northern is the third smallest section.
A sectional elected Board of Directors is responsible for overseeing the business of the section. The sectional office is located at the Life Time Fitness facility in Bloomington, Minn. The Section has a staff of 15 people in the Bloomington office, and an additional Tennis Services Representatives in Moorhead, Minn.
Our core programs are USTA Leagues, School Tennis, Jr. Team Tennis, Tennis in the Parks and Junior and Adult Tournaments. Other programs that we support include CTA Development, NJTL, Collegiate Tennis, Corporate Tennis, Innovative Tournaments, Special Events, Adaptive Tennis and High School Play. Our primary focus is teaching, mentoring and coaching individuals and organizations that grow tennis. In other cases, we conduct programming including tournaments, leagues and special events. To help in reaching diverse participants, we partner with organizations whose focus and mission meets these demographics.
Our Mission Statement
To promote and develop the growth of tennis
Our Vision Statement
Provide access to tennis programming for all people in USTA Northern and create opportunities to enjoy the social, physical and health benefits provided by the sport of tennis.
Our Core Values
USTA Northern Core Values constitute the fundamental beliefs of the organization. While goals present a clear direction, Core Values serve as our compass.
Our Strategic Priorities
- Accountability - USTA Northern staff and volunteers accept responsibility and accountability for how their actions support the USTA Northern mission.
- Commitment and Teamwork - USTA Northern is committed to its mission and believes that mission can best be achieved through the efforts of volunteers, staff and strategic partners working as a team.
- Inclusiveness - USTA Northern actively seeks to include all people who play, watch, support, and/or enjoy the game of tennis in its events, programs, membership, leadership and activities on a non-discriminatory basis.
- Integrity - USTA Northern is committed to the highest standards of integrity, honesty and ethics.
- Service - USTA Northern continually strives for excellence and is dedicated to providing outstanding service and value.
- Community Tennis
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Diversity of Inclusion
- Player Development
1001 West 98th Street, Suite 101
Bloomington, Minn. 55431
Phone (952) 887-5001
Fax (952) 887-5061
For directions to our offices, click here