Diversity and Inclusion has been elevated to a number-one priority for the USTA and USTA Northern. USTA Northern's Diversity and Inclusion Committee developed a diversity statement for the Section, which was approved by the Board of Directors and is currently working on the diversity and inclusion plan. For more information on USTA Northern's committment to Diversity and Inclusion, please contact Tony Stingley at email@example.com.
USTA NORTHERN DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
We, the Northern branch of the United States Tennis Association, recognize diversity and inclusion as essential to achieving our mission, "To Promote and Develop the Growth of Tennis." For us, diversity and inclusion refers to differences of culture, ethnicity, race, gender, beliefs, social economic status, sexual orientation, family status, physical ability, appearance and ideas. We are committed to achieving greater diversity throughout the sport and fostering a tennis environment that is more inclusive.
Diversity and inclusion make good business sense and are critical to achieving the mission of the organization, is a level one priority and is an integral part of the success of the sectional strategic initiatives. Our responsibility as the governing body for the sport obligates us to achieve a level of involvement that is open to, and represents the people we serve. It is our goal to expand the image of tennis to one that invites and supports the involvement of all.
Great organizations are characterized by a passion for excellence and the foresight to anticipate opportunities to further their mission. To realize our mission we believe we must:
* Establish diversity and inclusion as a key strategic priority in all facets of our organization
* Encourage organizational members, CTA’s and all individuals to adopt diversity and inclusion as a priority
* Expect that every leader include diversity and inclusion objectives in their performance appraisal and business planning process
* Measure leaders' success at achieving specific national and sectional goals identified by assessment data and feedback
* Build a culture that respects, values and celebrates diversity and inclusion
* Serve as a model organization for all others who aspire to an inclusive environment
To implement the findings from the USTA National organizational assessment (focus groups, and surveys) we propose the following as preliminary areas of focus where applicable:
* Increasing awareness in the organization of the importance of diversity and inclusion
* Recruiting and hiring greater diversity and inclusion into our sport
* Mentoring, developing, educating and training all affiliated with the sport
* Developing metrics and measures of success
* Demonstrating behaviors that are aligned with the philosophy