Chris Scheevel and the doubles team of Doug Matuska and Mike Vidmar were winners on Day 4 of the 2011 Aquatennial Plaza Tennis Classic at One Financial Plaza in downtown Minneapolis. The tournament continues through July 22, with Tuesday’s matches beginning at 9:00 a.m. and admission is free.
After a weather and court delay in the morning, Scheevel defeated Charlie Velie in a match that lasted over 2 hours 6-4, 7-6. In the second match of the day Matuska and Vidmar edged the team of Grant Campbell and Blair Madsen 7-6, 7-5. George Humphrey also advanced in the men’s singles qualifier in a walkover when Misha Baker had to withdraw due to illness.
This year, for the first time, every match of the Aquatennial Plaza Tennis Classic will be streamed LIVE online by Minneapolis-based company Implex. The stream will appear online 24/7 at http://usta.qwikcast.tv.
Results from Monday’s matches:
Chris Scheevel def. Charlie Velie 6-4, 7-6
#3 Doug Matuska/Mike Vidmar def. Grant Campbell/Blair Madsen 7-6, 7-5
George Humphrey def. Misha Baker – walkover/illness
Tuesday’s match schedule:
9:00 a.m. – #1 Nate McLain/Chi Pham vs. George Humphrey/Charlie Velie
10:30 a.m. – Bruce Gullikson/Susanna Styve vs. #2 Abby Buxton/Ryan Dussault
12 noon – George Humphrey vs. Glenn Britzius
1:30 p.m. – Scott Butler vs. Chris Scheevel
Many other events are also scheduled in conjunction with the tournament including:
· Free skin screenings on Thursday, July 14 and July 21 by the University of Minnesota Dermatological Society
· Free chair massages from Take Care Chiropractic and Wellness
· A visit from the Aquatennial Royalty on Monday, July 18, at 12 Noon
· 13-year-old sensation Ingrid Neel, who played boys tennis this year and led her team to the state championship, will played mixed doubles in the main draw on July 18 at 12 Noon.
· A media event on July 19 with local media personalities including KFAN’s Justin Gaard and KARE-11s David Watkins, as well as three-time Minnesota state champion Dusty Boyer of Ham Lake, Minn.
The Invitational is supported by Champion Sponsors: Dorsey & Whitney LLP, Implex, Life Time Fitness, Sears Imported Autos-Mercedes-Benz, Sport Court North, USTA Northern and Welsh Companies; Advantage Sponsor Take Care Chiropractic; and Inkind Sponsors: K&B Document Technologies and the University of Minnesota Baseline Tennis Center. This is an official associated event of the Minneapolis Aquatennial.
The 72nd Annual Minneapolis Aquatennial takes place July 15-23, 2011. The Official Civic Celebration of the City of Minneapolis offers outstanding entertainment and activities in the City of Lakes for all ages. The Minneapolis Aquatennial is managed and produced by the Minneapolis Downtown Council. Events are subject to change. For more information, please visit www.aquatennial.com or call 612-376-7669.